[gmpi] Re: New Reqs 3.8 - Events

  • From: "Michael Gogins" <gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:29:31 -0500

> //David Olofson - Programmer, Composer, Open Source Advocate:
> Unless we're talking about destructive off-line edit plugins (ie
> plugins that write data back into the host's tempo map), does it
> really matter if plugins see the actual tempo map?
>
> Yes, I realize that it's better to have the original data if you want
> accurate results after processing - but what kind of accuracy do we
> need, and how much complexity can we accept?

What kind of accuracy do we need? As much as we can obtain. As with dynamic
range or sampling rate, what appear at one time to be reasonable engineering
compromises turn out with sufficient experience to be crippling limitations.

How much complexity can we accept? I don't think what I'm talking about is
that complex; hosts will represent music time and to use GMPI they must
transmit it to plugins. Anyway, even if complex, it only needs to be
implemented once in the API.

Michael Gogins
gogins at pipeline period com
Irreducible Productions
CsoundVST, an extended version of Csound for programming music and sound
Available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/csound/