[gmpi] Re: Decision Time: 7.1.2

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 23:40:30 +0100

On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 05:20:20 +1200, Jeff McClintock wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> > I am being honest and genuine when I say that I really *would* like to
> > see a robust justification for situations where anything but a single
> > type per platform is needed
>
> Yeah, I do tend to agree with you.  I'd personally prefer things simple.
> But people have expressed a genuine need for different datatypes.  So i
> guess the question isn't "do we allow it", but how?

What need? I've been following this discussion pretty closely and the
strongest justification I've seen is a vague desire.

There is the dithering example, but this happens so rarely inside the
graph, and, as Paul pointed out you can represent up to 24bit int
losslesly in float, that is a corner case AFAIC.

> One situation where two datatypes would co-exist, is if music software moved
> gradually from 32bit to 64bit.  ..... I'm not convinced that will happen,
> but some here think it's inevitable.

If it happens it will be when we have 64bit only machines with wider
memory bandwidth that we have now. NB 64bit plugins is not the same as
64bit i/o.