[gmpi] Re: Decision Time: 7.1.2

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 23:51:00 +0100

On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 12:37:18 +0200, David Olofson wrote:
> On Friday 13 June 2003 12.35, Steve Harris wrote:
> [...]
> > All current game systems (ie. ones fast enough to run RT plugins
> > on) have hardware FPU support.
>
> Maybe they do, but I suspect some have SIMD FPUs only.

The PS2 is a MIPS + copros, GameCube is a (sort of) G4 and XBox is PIII
celeron. So, they all have hardware FPUs and SIMD.

> I had to implement waveform caching to disk in Kobo Deluxe, because it
> takes over two minutes (!) for a PlayStation 2 (PS2 Linux) to render
> what a P-III 933 does in at most two seconds. Dunno if the PS2 Linux
> devsystem is crippled, or if there simply is no FPU that can execute
> "normal" (ie non SIMD) FP code.

You are wrong about this, I've used the FPU on the PS2, but its offtopic.
Especially as programmers for the current generation of consoles are not
going to use plugins, thier too stingy with cycles for the audio people.