[gmpi] Re: Decision Time: 7.1.2

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 20:48:10 -0700 (PDT)

> ok, i guess if we end up allowing more than one datatype, then inType

I'm not sure it's worth the complication, though.  I just wanted to make
sure that the argument was made :)

My reasoning:

> btw: i would note once more than Float32 can represent Int16 (and
> Int24) with bit-for-bit fidelity. there is no risk of any bit lossage
> when storing an Int16 in a Float32, and so there is no inherent reason

The only reason to support in_type != out_type is converters, says I.  And
if we put the converter code in the SDK (glue it into your host at will)
then we make the API that little bit simpler.   I could be swung though, I
don't REALLY care whether it is per-plug, per-pin, or per-context.

Tim