[gmpi] Re: 3.14 UIs

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 18:19:03 -0700

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 07:47:04PM -0500, Jack O'Quin wrote:
> > If we define a simple UI->DSP API that is "message-centric", then it will
> > be easy to add remote capabilities.  Some hosts won't want to.  Anything
> > related to "remote UI" is really HOST SPECIFIC.
>
> That's one solution.  I'm just trying to point out that it is
> technically inferior to a solution that includes a documented protocol
> for driving *any* compliant plugin from *any* compliant UI.

That's ideal, sure, but we're broadening our scope, too.  GMPI is going to
step on a lot of toes.  This is one more...

> The fact that this is technically feasible does not force any company
> to offer field support for other people's products.  Doing that is
> purely a business decision.  They could say "reproduce your problem
> using *our* GUI host, before we'll even look at it".

Once they've fielded the phone call, a good chunk of the cost has been
incurred.

> sort.  You seem to be predicting that they will.  But, shouldn't they
> say that for themselves?  What if they (whoever *they* are) agree?

I'd love to hear from "them".  Maybe I've been at a Big Company too long
;)

> These are valid requirements questions, aren't they?

Definately.  I would love to see us take over the world.  I also think
that as our self-appointed scope grows, our chances of success decrease.

> > My point is that we are not here to be definign remote-plugin APIs
> > *unless* that is a core feature of GMPI.
>
> My view is that it *should* be.  If those with political power shoot
> it down, that's beyond my control.  But, GMPI will be less than it
> could have been if they do.

Not really.  Assuming that the host wants to allow out-of process UIs,
then all we need is an OSC->GMPI UI plugin.  That plugin receives OSC over
<whatever> and the mini-host turns it into GMPI.  If the host does not
allow out-of-process UIs, all this is moot, no matter what.

We don't lose anything.  What we're doing is staking out turf, and I'm
claiming that the more turf we grab, the less hosts are going to like us.