[gmpi] Re: 3.14 UIs

  • From: "Jeff McClintock" <jeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 10:44:31 +1200

> Except that the UI and plugin dont share address space if thier remote. If
> in the inprocess case the UI isn't allowed to assume it shares address
> space with the plugin then theres not much point having an inprocess mode
> AFAICT.

Well, A GUI should never assume it shares address space with the DSP.

The point is, yes we want to support remote GUI's, but the usual case is not
remote.  TCP is only needed in the remote case.  TCP is overkill for the
common case of plugin running in host's address space.  Not all platforms
have TCP anyway.

I was suggesting that the GUI has a simple API for setting and getting
parameters, that we use OSC-like parameter names (with slashes) so that when
we need a remote GUI it's a simple case of providing a thin, trivial, TCP
wrapper.  That the GUI itself is unaware of the transport mechanism,  it
calls a set_parameter() type function, that call goes either directly into
the host (no overhead), or into a wrapper that sends off an OSC message via
TCP.

The GUI API should be transport-neutral (but OSC-friendly).

Best Regards,
Jeff