[gmpi] Re: 3.14 UIs

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 15:48:55 -0700

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 01:48:39 -0700, Chris Grigg wrote:
 > Sure, it will be nice to have a cross-platform graphics kit, I'm not
 >against that, I just want to maintain a focus on our core task.

 I'm all for that, just suggesting we should keep the bigger picture
 in some part of our mind, and that some GUI thing needs to
 materialize before anyone is going to start doing serious GMPI
 product development.  If there's no way to do developer-provided GUI
 in GMPI, the format is IMHO gonna tank.

Probably true but the UIs dont have to be in-process, and if we define a UI protocol (relativley easy) then we dont have to define a crossplatform UI toolkit (seriously hard).

If theres a need for a toolkit it can be defined later.

- Steve

Given that developers will have the option to use libvstgui no matter what we say or do, I'm coming around to the "Here's a native window handle, you're on your own" point of view on this. I mean, you have to compile for each platform anyway.

-- Chris G.