[gmpi] Re: 3.14 UIs

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GMPI list <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 04:16:12 +0100

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 01:05:50PM -0700, Tim Hockin wrote:
> It's time for topic #3.14 - User Interfaces.
>
> Have at it:
>  http://www.gmpi-plugins.org/gmpi/requirements.php#sec_3.14
>
> There is a lot of stuff there, it has lots of thoughts, but I don't think
> it accurately captures the REQUIREMENTS.

For the out of process comms OSC seems like a good candidate. We've been
using it for a new linux focused stopgap softsynth api (DSSI), and it
seems to be working well, though its a bit early to tell really. There are
4 or 5 synths that use it.

The mechanism is that the UI is lanuched with the URL of hte hosts OSC
method root as an argument (eg. osc.udp://localhost:4444/foo/bar) and the
UI then reigsters with the host (to tell it where it is) and the host can
send messages to inform the UI of parameter changes + tell it to (un)hide
etc., the UI can send parameter change messages to the host.

The exact mechanism is documented if anyone cares, but it probably doesnt
matter right now.