[gmpi] Re: 3.14 UIs

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 18:44:22 -0700

> I was wondering whether we could treat this section in a way that
 preserves the possibility for cleanly introducing a crossplat GUI
 framework at GMPI 2.0.

I think that if we define the API between Host and GUI purely in terms of getting/setting parameters. Then we are free to introduce cross-platform graphics at any time (even before GMPI 2.0).

If the host just provides an empty window, we can 'drop in' any graphics
routine we like, any time.

Yeah. So maybe we restructure the UI requirements like this?:

Req. 63: Generic (Host-Provided) GUI - <Stuff here about what kind of widgets the host is expected to support. Maybe also mention compat with HW plug boxes ala Plugzilla as a goal?>

Req. 64: Custom (Plugin-Provided) GUI - <Stuff here about how this is not part of 1.0, but if you were looking for a rough idea of what it'd be like, vstgui would be a good model>

On the other hand, are we sure param get/set a rich enough model for communication between the custom GUI code and the DSP code? I'm thinking about some of the great intricate signal displays we're seeing these days, seems like they could, perhaps, be needlessly cumbersome to express in those terms.

Hmm, just noticed VST GUI is open source.  Mayby we could adapt it *evil
laugh*.....that would save a LOT of time.

Jeff

Heh heh, I admit thought about that too. Guess my next question would be: Do people actually like it, and what're the license terms?

Also, about this...:

"Req 65: GMPI must define a mechanism for out-of-process UIs. Hosts must support this.

FIXME: Earlier, we asserted that all plugins are native, which means out-of-process stuff is beyond the scope of GMPI. Do we expect every plugin with an out-of-process GUI to write their own GUI-to-GMPI proxy? Or do we standardize out-of-process plugins?"

...I don't understand why native plugs means no out-of-process parts. There may be multiple processes running on the same box.

-- Chris G.