[gmpi] Re: 3.14 UIs

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 13:15:49 -0700

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 12:11:58PM -0700, Chris Grigg wrote:
 >We want an API that is targetted exactly at the sorts of things plugin
 >GUIs need to do.

 I don't understand, these seem at odds.  If you're saying none of the
 existing toolkits are targeted exactly at plugin GUI needs, then
 we'll need to specify one... but you also seem to be against getting
 into the details of specifying one.  Clarify please?

I'm saying that what we need, if we are going to do anything at all is something targetted. Doing anything at all will be HUGE. It should be spun off into a new project.

Any reason not to just adopt Qt whole?

Plenty. It's C++, we already said GMPI is C. Defining a toolkit at that level is just not going to fly, I think. Instead, and API could be built that exposed an audio-centric set of widgets and abstractions (a la VSTGUI) that could be built on any reasonable toolkit.

So... you don't want to adopt any existing GUI platform now, and you also don't want to define a new one now. In other words the proposal is to launch GMPI sans developer-provided GUI of any kind, just host-provided auto-built generic GUI. OK, then I have to ask some kind of tough, but helpfully meant, questions about the whole GMPI project. Do you think that's really realistic for a new plug-in format? What would the motivation be for a commercial plug developer -- who has branding issues -- to support GMPI? If commercial plug developers don't support GMPI reasonably soon and in reasonably large numbers, how viable will GMPI be? If GMPI is not likely to be very viable, why are we doing it?

-- Chris G.