[gmpi] Re: 3.14 UIs

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 13:48:39 -0700

Jeff said:

> In other words the proposal
 is to launch GMPI sans developer-provided GUI of any kind, just
 host-provided auto-built generic GUI.  OK, then I have to ask some
 kind of tough, but helpfully meant, questions about the whole GMPI
 project.  Do you think that's really realistic for a new plug-in
 format?

Completely realistic. Any well designed audio system will maintain a clean seperation from the GUI. In VST's case, they provide next to zero graphics support ( an empty window, that's it).

From a narrow perspective this is true, it's external, but from a product dev perspective there's always libvstgui.

In AU's case, they provide an abstract way to connect
'listeners' (GUI elements) to parameters.

AU is Mac OS X only, so there is an unambiguous graphics environment.

Both formats are big successes.

Both formats have graphics libs that cover all the platforms they run on!

VSTGUI is a completely seperate project, and rightly so.  All attempts at
cross-platform graphics are compromises, hence serious developers prefer to
'roll their own' or make the extra effort to provide 'native' GUIs.

GMPI will be a success if it's API is portable, that dosn't mean GMPI has to
be a java-like cross-platform development environment.

 Sure, it will be nice to have a cross-platform graphics kit, I'm not
against that, I just want to maintain a focus on our core task.

I'm all for that, just suggesting we should keep the bigger picture in some part of our mind, and that some GUI thing needs to materialize before anyone is going to start doing serious GMPI product development. If there's no way to do developer-provided GUI in GMPI, the format is IMHO gonna tank.

-- Chris G.

Best Regards, Jeff