[gmpi] Re: 3.14 UIs

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 13:53:13 -0700

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 01:34:37PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> No! the RGH runs on the platform where the control i/o happens - the
> control surface, the windows front-end to the render farm, the machine
> on the other side of the world, wherever.

hrrm yes, but...

> the DSP-host cannot supply the RGH without it just becoming basically
> redundant: "Hi, my name is TheFirstSHowing from Abode Software, and I
> come with an RGH for the exact same platforms that I run on". [:)]

As soon as you allow any host to talk to any remote-UI-host you have the
TCP/IP problem.  Slightly incompatible implementations.   Making the
remote-UI-host be host-provided means that hosts can actually support
remote UI without pointing fingers.

> This would destroy 50% of the idea of the remote GUI - you could never
> run a GUI on a platform not supported by the DSP host (even if the
> plugin and/or its GUI were available for other platforms).

Host-specific RUH allows out-of-process UI plugins, and allows
network-remote plugins to supported hosts.  All with host-provided bits.

Imagine the PITA it will be when you file a bug against Sonar that a
remote UI from your Solaris box doesn't work.  They didn't write the
Solaris GMPI mini-host.  They won't support it.  They likely will do
things to make it NOT work, so they don't hear about it.

Nice hosts will do OSC and will allow any old remote UI.  Uptight hosts
(read commercial) will do something else.

Control surfaces and what-not will need some local driver.
  Control_surface  -something->  RUH_w_driver  -private->  GMPI_host

Unsupported remote UI can do this:
  Remote_UI  -OSC->  RUH_w_OSC_adaptor  -private->  GMPI_host

I certainly do want remote UI from any old platform, but I would guess
that some of the big-boys won't want to play so openly.  Maybe I am
wrong..