[elky] Re: Wrecks (I sent this to the Nova list, figgered I might as well...

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 08:42:06 -0700

On 11/11/2010 12:46 PM, Mary McCarthy wrote:
yeah, that retirement thing looms big, doesn't it?

Yup. Sure does....even tho I'm retired, I'm waiting for the retirement shoe to drop. Strange place to be in.

I think as long as you have a roof over your head and some food, these days you are way ahead of an awful lot of folks.

Absolutely.  I give thanks for that in prayer every day.

Adopt a dog, the shelter is full of ones that couldn't go with their families when they were foreclosed.

I'm not a dog person. And with my lifestyle (rubber tramp from April to October) it'd be a hell of a a lifestyle change to try to deal with a pet/companion/therapy dog. It's ok. I have the voices in my head. We get along fine. :)

I think your retirement is going very well. You have not plunked yourself down in a chair waiting to die - how many times have you seen that?

Way too many. To be honest, if I had to plunk myself down in a chair in front of a tv....well, I'd be dead real soon, but it'd be from suicide as the better option vs. tv. :)

google took a new pic of our house and we are thrilled to announce that you cannot see it. We are not quite upside down but getting there. What I find odd is that the realtor value and the assessed value keep going down, but the taxes creep up a few hundred each year.

Only creep? Mine doubled this year. Value dropped like a rock but with new "services", add-on taxes and just plain increases ("If elected, I promise not to increase taxes....")...hell, I dunno.

I'll see your Kmart and raise you 100 shares of GM.

I hear ya.  Sucks, don't it?

My dogs eat very well.  You should be so lucky.

Hmmm...when I was about 17, my mother kicked me out of the house because she thought I'd been in a hit-and-run accident (nothing of the sort...I'd lost my front license plate when "4-wheeling" across a field) and I took refuge in an unused doghouse at my girlfriend's family's place. Good thing it was a big dog house and I had a sleeping bag. It's been an interesting life.