[elky] Re: Wrecks (I sent this to the Nova list, figgered I might as well...

  • From: Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 19:01:48 -0800

that's alot. Ellie was $60 at Multnomah County (she had clouded eyes they thought were cataracts and she'd been adopted out 3 times in 18 months. The eyes were a German Shepherd disease treatable with antibiotics, the Mini Terror has learned some manners). Jake was $100 + $10 for Frontline from SW Washington Humane. As a puppy he was a little more. He came with a tote bag of 'stuff' because it was a special adoptathon where they bring in dogs from all over so the selection was good. He'd only been there a few hours. But yeah, Oregon Humane is $250. La de dah.

Usually they have prices on the websites of the individual shelters. I find Rescue groups to both expensive and PICKY. I'd avoid Craig's list (I had visions of my $150 German Shepherd turning out to be stolen shortly after I fell in love with him). And the shelters make sure they are healthy, have all their shots, neutered and give you a certificate for a free vet check. You don't even get that with a $1000 pet store dog. And they'll take the dog back if it doesn't work out.

No reason you should go without a best friend. I don't mean to pry, but some shelters have senior discounts.

didja wander over to Petfinder?

Mary

The only thing our local shelter gives is a bill. Not sure how much but I seem to remember about 200 bux.