[elky] Re: Wrecks (I sent this to the Nova list, figgered I might as well...

  • From: Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 13:39:22 -0800

My guys know to stay in the back yard for playtime. When you get the dog, you walk it around the perimeter on a leash until it learns the corners. I walk Crazy Ellie on a leash around the estate (ahemmmm) but Jake is happy just to walk with me, no leash. My "imprisoned" house dogs are - first and foremost - a security system. They are here to greet intruders. They don't seem to mind nice beds, and heat vent to sit on while watching outside for dangerous squirrel felons.

If you're not confident about 200lb. of dog in the house there are plenty of chihuahuas at the shelters. They bring them up from CA where they're overrun with them on the 'small dog' craze. They are big dogs in little bodies. And pits are great dogs, just with a Jersey attitude. The shelter should give you a training video and help with any training problems. There were a lot of coon hounds when we were looking, but the baying would drive me nuts. Bad enough Jake began channeling his inner hound during the leg surgery.

I've never tried the electric collars. I think they are more for barking? As mean as I get is a choker collar. Jakes is used but Ellie's is just for bling. She wanted NOTHING to do with it until I wrestled in onto her, but we don't use it. Just confronting another one of those fear things. Max the pit bull mix needed one because smarty could slip a collar off over his head.

shop!  petfinder.com  Find yourself a new best bud.

Mary

I want a dog, almost need a dog. But (there it is again)
I could not imprison indoors or chain my dog and I cannot afford to fence my 1 1/3 acre of yard. There is over a hundred miles of wilderness in my back yard and Highway 101 is close below and it is not safe for a dog or any other animal.
But I wish I could have a dog.
Do those high tech electronic dog control thingies work? How do they work? Do they hurt the dog?
Rick Draganowski
(Dogless and miserable)