[elky] Re: Wrecks (I sent this to the Nova list, figgered I might as well...

  • From: Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 11:46:22 -0800

yeah, that retirement thing looms big, doesn't it? I think as long as you have a roof over your head and some food, these days you are way ahead of an awful lot of folks. Adopt a dog, the shelter is full of ones that couldn't go with their families when they were foreclosed. I think your retirement is going very well. You have not plunked yourself down in a chair waiting to die - how many times have you seen that?

google took a new pic of our house and we are thrilled to announce that you cannot see it. We are not quite upside down but getting there. What I find odd is that the realtor value and the assessed value keep going down, but the taxes creep up a few hundred each year.

I'll see your Kmart and raise you 100 shares of GM.

My dogs eat very well.  You should be so lucky.

Mary

All I know about retirement is that I work longer and harder than I ever did. The reason for it is that my private disability insurance will end in just under 2 years. My SSDI...well, I dunno if it'll end at 65 or 66. And full SSI won't start until 66 (I'm 63 now....I can't believe I wrote that. I don't feel anything like that old on the inside...but my body...well, that's another story) and my retirement...well, I lost that in my divorce. I have a house that was worth $347k in 2007 and now I'd be lucky to get the $212 that zillow sez it's worth. And while I'm not quite upside down on it, I'd probably get as much from walking away from it as I would from selling it after all's said and done.

So I work hard to build for the future. I thought I'd been doing that for the previous chapters in my life, but I had to start over numerous times. Some were the results of my actions, others were beyond my control...like losing a bundle when K-Mart devalued all its common stock to zero. Zip. Nada....water under the bridge.

I have some things going on that might prove fruitful. Who knows? Or I might walk out the door, find a cheap single-wide to rent and eat dog food. As Rick D would say, "the future is uncertain." The idea of eating dog food makes me want to go to the store and buy a steak or two while I can afford it. Sounds delish right about now. :)

On 11/9/2010 5:15 AM, John Christensen wrote:
I am still trying to figure out this 'retired' thing as it applies to you Ray. Now..... I have a lot of irons in the fire now, and my interests closely parallel yours. I am wondering just how far I will be leaving my poor wife in the dust if I make it to retirement age. I have some concerns that I have to do the physical stuff before I can't any more. For Cindy, the way her Grandma was (just like Cindy in almost every way.... working all the time, and healthy) I will be gone long before her. Still, I may be busier then than I am now.

I am tired just thinking about it.
JC

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 6:00 AM, Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Glad ya listened to the little voice (vision) in yer head.  I
    believe in inner promptings...whatever form they might take.  I
    know 'em from both sides...those I listened to and those I
    ignored.  The results are much better when I've listened to 'em
    and acted accordingly.  Again, I'm glad you did, too.  I have no
    idea how these things work...just believe that they do.  If I
    could figger out how to make 'em work on a reliable basis, I'd
    make several fortunes in different arenas and then I could
    retire.  Wait.  I AM retired.  Huh.  Whaddya know?

    On 11/8/2010 8:29 AM, STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx
    <mailto:STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx> wrote:
    I to have experienced a glimpse into the future,  this is true.
      One day while driving to work I had a premonition, a vision of
    a collision between a red car and myself.
       My vision started with me driving the same road and being hit
    buy a red car that ran a stop sign. The red car slams me squire
    in the drivers door. I see the car collapsing in on me, the
    breaking glass and the point of my demise.
       This vision was so strong, and vivid, that the hair stood up
    on the back of my neck. I got nervous and I slowed down. Just
    moments after I slowed  I was approaching an intersection when a
    car blows the stop sign about 20 ft in front of me. He/she
    blasts straight across my path left to right. I estimated the
    car was moving at about 50-60 MPH and never touched the brakes.
    Here's the scary part, The car moved so fast that I can not even
    tell you what kind of car it was, The only feature I could zero
    in on was it's RED color.
        I feel that if I did not slow down my speed would have put
    me straight into my vision.
    So What am I to make of this, am I clairvoyant, A guardian
    angle, will I be able to again foresee my accidental death.
    Well, I never had another experience like that, but I do pay
    more  attention to intuition.
    Smoky Mt. Frank
    In a message dated 11/6/2010 7:05:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
    dragan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dragan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

         Seeing all of those graphic accidents brought it all back
        and I swear I still feel the pain of dying.
        Your results may vary.
        Rick Draganowski
        (Soli Deo Gloria)

-- Sent from my Dreadnought with that useless Thunderbird email program (complete with new bugs)