[elky] Re: Building a PC

  • From: Robert Adams <ladams21@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 19:12:50 -0600

Nice! I like laptops, and don't really understand the part about compromise. I run my laptop all day long, and it does what I need it to, when I need it to, and this one has no real frills.

The only compromise is that it takes up some of the space in my bag.

Most people don't use very much of the computing power of their computer. But some of us are squeezing every bit of speed to run the programs we are.

Playing games puts a huge load on them and most can put much of that load on the graphics card but with flight simulator most all of the load is on the processor. Dual GPU cards don't help it any except for running dual monitors. When you set up a home system you will have one computer running each monitor cause even the best system you can build still can't really run more than 2 monitors. The graphics and computations for other things just take so much. They write the program so that it will have a long shelf life. They usually keep the same version for 10+ years. The last one is X which was released in 06 the previous 04 version is still being sold and is still very popular because it can provide better frame rates but not quite the quality but very good. Even an earlier version is still out though there will not be a new one since MS fired the whole gaming dept.

Other than games drafting programs are just as intensive as games. Autocad and solid works as well as Rhino etc all barely run on a laptop. They run but much of the functionality is gone because it just doesn't have the computing or graphics power.