[elky] Re: Building a PC

  • From: Chris Lindh <chrislindh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 13:41:41 -0500

An update:

My wife is my companies CPA / COO and she suggested we buy equipment
at the end of '09 to reduce taxes.  I bought an 80GB Intel Solid State
Drive (SSD) and an HP LP2475W monitor from TigerDirect (using Bing
cashback) and I bought a 2nd LP2475W monitor on Craigslist.

Not that the Windows Experience Index is a serious benchmark, but the
SSD brought my score from 5.9 (the lowest single score, the hard
drive) to 7.5.  The SSD is very fast.  Programs open much quicker.

SSD benchmarked in my PC:
Sequential Read/Write: 248MB/s / 78MB/s
4K Read/Write: 20MB/s / 32MB/s
4K-64Thrd Read/Write: 107MB/s / 35MB/s
Access time Read/Write: 0.162ms / 0.120ms
Score Read/Write: 152 / 74 total 304

My scores are low in some areas compared to others, which may be due
to the drive being almost full and not "aligned".  At this time there
isn't a quick way to "align" the data, so I'll leave it be.

Migrating to the SSD was not a simple task, although I was able to
copy my Windows 7 installation from the 750GB drive to the SSD I
couldn't get the boot sector to copy over.  This was due to the
Windows 7 installation being a dual boot with XP Pro.  In hindsight I
would have just installed 7.  I had to do a fresh install of Windows 7
& reinstall my programs (it did keep the files in a Windows.old
folder).

The specs:
Antec P183 ATX case
Asus P6X58D Deluxe motherboard
I7-920 CPU 2.67 GHz (will be overclocked at some point)
6GB Corsair Dominator RAM
XFX 4890 video card
Intel G2 SSD 80GB
Samsung 750GB
Corsair HX650 modular power supply
LG CD/DVD Sata drive (the Samsung died quickly, glad it was a local purchase!)
Windows 7 64 bit

I am happy with the speed of the PC and that I know every detail about
it since I built it.  Now I need to make the expenditure worth it!
(Back to work!)
--
Chris Lindh
http://www.PartsForSpeed.com