[elky] Re: Building a PC

  • From: Robert Adams <ladams21@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 16:49:21 -0600

The i7 P55 (860, 750) only have 2 channels for ram, the X58 (920, 975,
etc) use 3.  The interesting part is using current benchmarks the two
are very close so I'm not sure which I want... it'll probably come
down to the best deal.

Yeah. Go with the cheaper for what you want. IMO For me I need the most processing I can get but can skimp some on the video card because of the software.

I remember building a dual processor 486. Nice board with the sockets just barely far enough apart to put heatsinks on them.

It's crazy how much competition there is in the computing world...
just when Intel gets ahead AMD slashes prices to compete on price...
a lot has changed since I considered building a system last ('05)...
but some parts never change: new CPU designs force you to decide
whether you want a good price today or an upgrade path in the future.

AMD has always been a good bit cheaper than Intel. Intel was fines billions for anti competitive practices in the EU a while back. Prob is we don't have a similar protection for consumers here....

My thoughts are to buy a fairly fast processor and mobo but make sure you get a good deal on it. That will suffice for most people. Now later on you can just swap mobo and processor. Same for heavy users but you need to get a better processor. Don't count on ever replacing the processor on a mobo.

The other issue is the version of windows you get. I usually get the system builder version which is $100. It's only good on that mobo/processor basically. No support from MS but who cares... The retail versions allow you a certain number of installs. Dunnow how many though. The retail versions usually run $250 and up though. I figure by the time this computer gets replaced a new OS will be out and so far that has held true since windows 3.1. I have a couple copies and a copy of dos 6 too....