[elky] Re: Building a PC

  • From: Robert Adams <ladams21@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 16:11:00 -0600

Microcenter seems to be the place to buy a processor, in the "build
your own PC thread" at Slickdeals the first question you answer is "Do
you have a Microcenter / Fry's nearby?"  Microcenter has the i5-750
@$150, i7-860 @$230 and the i7-920 @$200.  These prices are well below
online prices, and are in-store only.  The Fry's in Atlanta are far
from me, but if they have a killer deal I'll make the drive.

Not at the Frys here... Also figure in what the motherboard and the expensive three packs of memory cost for the i series.

This chart puts the i5/i7s above any AMD CPUS:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu,2466-6.html

About two months ago the i7s were running nearly 1K. Way overpriced at the time. I guess they finally figured out what it takes to increase sales... Up until recently the AMDs were the best for the $ especially when overclocked. The i series from intel are very overclockable so if you get a good price on them they are a much better deal. Though I'll take the top AMD over the i5. I'd always prefer a non intel product though.

I want good bang for the buck with an eye towards not upgrading for at
least 2-3 years.  I bought my Shuttle thinking I would upgrade the CPU
and graphics (Athlon 64 3000+ at 1.8 GHz and Radeon X300)... but I
never played games so I never needed to.

Playing FSX well is the main thing with anything I build. Very processor heavy. Almost all other games can offload the processing to the video card. Course if I add extra monitors by using other computers they don't have to be really fast like the main machine. You still run FSX on the other computers but it's only having to generate one view as all the other work is done by the main machine. So every monitor has it's own computer.

For you I'd stick with a decent video card and you can get one that'll do what you want and a whole lot more for less than $100 these days. You can get allot of video card for the $ these days.

I have never had a WD hard drive fail. I have rarely had any components fail actually. They become obsolete way before they fail. I also turn everything off when it isn't being used. So less of a heat issue over time and it takes allot of elec to run computers constantly. I also shut the power strip off cause they pull allot even turned off. They need to rest and run better on a cold boot...
               I absolutely hate sleep mode......