[elky] Re: Building a PC

  • From: Chris Lindh <chrislindh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 16:40:46 -0500

Microcenter seems to be the place to buy a processor, in the "build
your own PC thread" at Slickdeals the first question you answer is "Do
you have a Microcenter / Fry's nearby?"  Microcenter has the i5-750
@$150, i7-860 @$230 and the i7-920 @$200.  These prices are well below
online prices, and are in-store only.  The Fry's in Atlanta are far
from me, but if they have a killer deal I'll make the drive.

This chart puts the i5/i7s above any AMD CPUS:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu,2466-6.html

I want good bang for the buck with an eye towards not upgrading for at
least 2-3 years.  I bought my Shuttle thinking I would upgrade the CPU
and graphics (Athlon 64 3000+ at 1.8 GHz and Radeon X300)... but I
never played games so I never needed to.