[elky] Re: Building a PC

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 20:23:19 -0700

Here's an REEL interesting mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813151085&cm_re=motherboard_amd_quad_core-_-13-151-085-_-Product

"Supports up to 8 CPUs or 32 cores with optional M4985. " Hmmm....you gotta read the last of the 3 reviews on the page. What it describes is basically a mainframe computer in a full tower case. Requires at least 1260 watt power supply, two DIMMs per processor; has 8 SATA ports and supports software or hardware RAID. I gotta wonder if Windoze 7 would support something like this. It sez it can support up to 20 Virtual Machines, so you could use it as a mainframe with many thin client workstations. Seems like a custom kernel *nix OS would be needed to handle it.

I'm sure that over time (like after Christmas) prices on just about everything like SSDs should come down a bit. The OCZ SSDs look good...the 30GB drive otta be pretty good for the OS only and the reviews are great...and it's $150.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227393

Ray

At 07:26 PM 11/30/2009, you wrote:
We'll have to compare notes as we go along... I've been tempted by
some deals today but I think the only item I'm actually going to buy
today is a Corsair power supply.  10% Bing cashback today.

Motherboard, operating system, etc., I'm going to try to find "combo
deals" at Newegg, and I don't mind rebates.  I think you can find the
SSDs less than $350, the Intel X-25M that has decent reviews is ~$250.

I like the Lego cases, and the alien looking one...

I'm wondering about mid tower versus full tower ATX... will I really
need the extra space...
--
Chris Lindh
http://www.PartsForSpeed.com