[duxuser] From MS Word to Duxbury.

  • From: Blind Persons' Association <bpaindia@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 05:42:11 +0530

Hello everybody,

Some of our readers type text in ms word for us which we later emboss in
braille. In most cases they try to use all sorts of style to make the text
resemble the actual print. But we note that very little formatting in ms word
is saved in the process of import.

We have prepared some instructions for these volunteers which I am mentioning
below. Please check it carefully and suggest your revisions and additions:

By the bye, ours is an Indian organisation. We are using dbtWin 10.4 and word
2000 professional. We get materials in word 97 or 2000 or even xp.

With best regards,
Amiyo.

Here is the instruction:
1. Two enters for a paragraph: When you start a new paragraph, press the enter
key twice that each paragraph is separated by a distinct line.

2. No alignment: Do not align a paragraph while writing text.

3. Centre heading: If a heading is required, write the heading in a line and
press the enter key twice to make it separate. Then apply centre alignment to
the heading line.

4. No style: Do not apply bold, italic or underline style. It will be ignored
by Duxbury.

5. Asterisk for footnote: Do not apply superscript or subscript style. When a
reference number is required for a footnote, simply put an asterisk (*) before
the number like the following:
*1

6. Three dots for ellipses: When ellipses or a series of dots are required,
only put three fullstop signs.

7. No extra space: No extra space: In print we often use extra spaces for
clarity. We sometimes put a space before a fullstop or a colon sign. In braille
text extra spaces are not applied before a punctuation.

8. Two hyphens for a dash: Carefully note hyphens and dashes as they have
distinct identity in braille. When a hyphen is required, say for instance,
inside a compound word like reporter-in-chief, put a single hyphen. When a
longer puctuation is implied by a hyphen or a dash sign, say as in
Calcutta--700017, put two hyphens without space on either side of them.