[duxuser] Re: From MS Word to Duxbury.

  • From: Christine Simpson <simpsonc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 09:23:49 +1000

Hi Alan, George and all,

As a "Touch Reader" of Braille and also as a transcriber, I believe that bullets have a very important part to play in conveying to the Braille reader the meaning and set-out of the printed text.

As transcribers, our responsibility is to convey as best as possible the content and presentation of the printed text. We are not editors, we are transcribers.

As a "Touch Reader" of Braille, I find that bullets, asterisks, indented text, blank lines and the like all help me to quickly and more efficiently understand what it is that the original author wished to convey to me.

Regards

Christine

At 08:19 AM 6/18/04, you wrote:

Hi Alan,

It concerns braille, so I'm one moderator who is on side here.  So, I
guess I can make comments of my own.  (I'm also sighted by the way,
hence some of the tack below)

First, bullets.  In many senses, while these appear to be simply
decorative in print, they tend to be used in place of numbers.  They are
also used in print in a kind of list format, which stands out because
they are usually within indented margins.

Second, DBT's treatment of bullets, and indeed numbering, has been
somewhat precarious at best.  A lot of work has gone into improving this
treatment in 10.5, though it will probably still not be perfect for
everyone's needs.

Third, how bullets are treated varies from country to country, and so we
must respect each others needs Internationally.

Which, to sum it all up, gives Duxbury quite a few headaches, trying to
please even some users some of the time.

George.

* * * * *
Christine Simpson
Information Alternatives