[softwarelist] Re: The failings of OvPro

  • From: M Harding <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 20:21:35 +0100

In article <Noo2MOEFWeePFwU6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> Hi,

> In message <D9584403-8AFF-44A1-A277-EA4386B3BF03@xxxxxxxx>, Clive
> Bonsall <c.bonsall@xxxxxxxx> writes
> >But (David) are you proposing EXPORT only or also IMPORT ? and for both
> >OP and OPW?

> Par for the course would be to do import and then get fed up...

> Seriously it would be good to do some sort of useful export. Pick a
> simple subset of the features of OP and limit ones ambitions.

> If I stuck to the transloader system then it would be trivial to do
> versions for Win and RISC OS (I think that is what happened with
> the mark 2 RTF importer).

> I like the way some people above are talking about pictures, so now
> I am writing a Draw to Windows Meta file convertor as well (maybe
> SVG for open office) - it summarises the difficulties.

I'm concerned that you're on a hiding to nothing, David. As DTP
editor (via OP of course!) of our parish magazine, material is sent
to me in many different formats.  (I only need the text, but print
them out to see whether there's any formattting or deliberate fonts.)

I have an oldish version of Word, which deals with the average .doc.
But it doesn't accept .docx, so I import these via OpenOffice. My
pleas to contributors to send them in the "Save As" format of plain
.doc are constantly forgotten, even when I list detailed instructions
on how to perform this task.

Then there's .wps (Microsoft Works) which neither Word nor OpenOffice
would touch. I found a reader for it, but my Spybot threw a fit when
it decided this was alien spyware.

It's my view that many of Dave's clients are likely not to have a clue
about how to tackle an email attachment that doesn't instantly open.
"Download OpenOffice? How do I do that?" I hear them asking with
incredulity.

I suspect that the only version suited to the man-in-the-street is the
.pdf, because it doesn't need any jiggery-pokery or investment in cash
or time to open it.

Michael Harding
Rev. Preb. M.D. Harding   riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx