[softwarelist] Re: The failings of OvPro

  • From: Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 06:19:49 +0100

In article <YN$j1LHayLePFwEY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> In message <FjtEerBQHEePFwVv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Pilling
> <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
> >
> >Bounced message from Martin Devon

> Another one...

> !MakeRTF is written in BASIC and it's not too hard to make small changes
> - it's been done before with various types of quotation marks.

Easily said if you understand the stuff, I understand about 10 percent,
the rest is Serbo Croat...

> Dave has not told use precisely what aspects he wants to achieve. There
> are limitations, bearing in mind particularly that highly accurate
> sizing and positioning of elements is not possible in Word. Neither do
> we know why customers demand it in Word - are they going to edit it
> themselves - or is it simply the result of ignorance?

My requirements are quite simple.
As per the Publisher RTF creator, I want the OvPro output to go into Word
without...

1) Being invisible.
2) Having to remove all the formatting (The whole point of an RTF
transfer) to get the content to display.
3) I'm only too aware of the difficulties translating between systems, so
I don't expect everything to work, but as it is, nothing works.

ATM. Using the MakeRTF output is a pointless exercise, I might just as
well open the .dpd document in Win OvPro, Hilight, then do a Copy and
thereafter Paste into Word.
Same result, a load of unformatted text.

(Not forgetting that using MakeRTF messes up Reporter.

With regard to customer document requirements...
I have no idea, I don't ask, I do my best to accommodate the customers
wishes so they spend the money with my business rather than some other guy.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid