[softwarelist] Re: The failings of OvPro

  • From: Ewen Pring <Ewen_Pring@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 13:17:33 +0100

Deri James <deri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 2 Apr 2012:

> On Monday 02 Apr 2012 12:10:41 David Pilling wrote:
>>
>> If I was to do document export, what would be the best format HTML, RTF,
>> MS Word, or some sort of XML variant as used by Open Office.
>>
>> Given that only one of the above is ever going to be done.

> Each has its own strengths and weaknesses. As I see it:-

> HTML - Standard, difficult to produce output faithful to OvPro document,
> pictures must be supplied externally to the HTML.

> RTF - Non standard proprietary format, changes with every word release,
> impossible to produce faithful output, pictures can't be embedded.

> OOXML (Word) - Standard (although no current microsoft product currently
> supports the full standard, only "transitional), pictures can be embedded.

> ODF (OpenOffice) - Standard, pictures can be embedded.

> Personally I think ODF would be the best choice, (with more resources to help
> the developer).

I would say OOXML first choice, ODF second choice. We have been moving
away from RTF recently and favouring OOXML (.docx).

This would be useful for us. We'd want to buy OP upgrades with an
export to one of these formats. I assume it could apply to both the RO
and Win versions.

--
Ewen Pring, St. Albans, Herts
using Iyonix,  RISC OS 5