[softwarelist] Re: The failings of OvPro

  • From: Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 18:10:48 +0100

On 2 Apr 2012  "Dave Lawton" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Snip David's helpful list of the differences.
>>
>> I would say OOXML first choice, ODF second choice. We have been moving
>> away from RTF recently and favouring OOXML (.docx).
>>
>> This would be useful for us. We'd want to buy OP upgrades with an
>> export to one of these formats. I assume it could apply to both the RO
>> and Win versions.
>>
> I would disagree, ODT would be the best choice, since Libre Office /
> Open Office can output in doc (several flavours back to W6), docx,
> html, xml, and also export directly to pdf (great for those who can't
> install a virtual pdf printer driver)

I would certainly prefer ODT, but then I gave up using Word a long
time ago. However, two potential problems, for Microsoft users rather
than for us.

Firstly, I think older versions of Word, and there are a lot of people
out there still use them, don't import ODT. There are converters, but
how many of the "click, and if it doesn't work, complain" brigade
would know about them?

Secondly, and this has been discussed on the EasiWriter list, one of
Microsoft's recent security updates has made Windows put up a warning
when users try to open a file that wasn't created in a genuine
Microsoft Office program. They say that this is because malware has
been transmitted this way, but I wonder...  I send quite a lot of Word
files, created in either EasiWriter or LibreOffice, to Windows users,
and have taken to warning them about this. So far, no negative
feedback.

With best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter   \  /      zfc Hf     \     Prestbury, Cheltenham,  Glos. GL52
and      \/ __            __  \                              England.