[softwarelist] Re: The failings of OvPro

  • From: Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2012 12:41:31 +0100

In article <19e48b7952.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 1 Apr 2012  Chris Johnson <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > In article <5279794d77dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> >    Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> I'm not using Make RTF, I am using TransRTF

> > I was under the impression that TransRTF is for importing RTF files
> > *into* Ovation Pro, not for the reverse process.

> Yes, so was I; see my other post, but the Help file says otherwise.
> I've just been doing some experimenting. I can use it in a TaskWindow
> to export an RTF file from OPro (ARMini RISC OS 5.18). It emerges
> typed as Data, so I changed that to RTF. I tried importing it into
> LibreOffice in Windows, into EasiWriter and into RISC OS OPro, and in
> each case I got the raw text of the RTF file rather than a proper
> document. It would seem then that it's not much use as a PDF exporter!

> With best wishes,

> Peter.

Blimey! Peter...
After all that, I'm seriously confused so I'm going to sperment.

RISC OS: OvPro 2.77s 27 May 2011.
---------------------------------

The Save F3 has an RTF radio button.
When I activate it, it does indeed save an RTF file.

!MakeRTF is somewhere in a sub directory, and is neither seen nor run

Get a small OvPro doc on screen, Save as the RTF.
It does indeedy Save out as an RTF.

I've taken !MakeRTF and moved it somewhere else in another sub, sub
directory.
I shall now reboot the computer and see...

Well, use my hankie as a bum wipe, you are korrekt.
Hangonamon while I do a *Show

Whoops! there's a copy inside OvPro Applets.
So apologies chaps, particularly Peter, yes indeed, !MakeRTF is doing the
stuff here.

Interesting aside, everytime I make an RTF out from Ovation Pro Reporter
goes on the blink and only displays an empty Reporter window.
Nothing that happens on the computer thereafter is shown in the Reporter
window until I Clear it from the Menu.

Mnnn! Back to the main plot.

Dave

--