[softwarelist] Re: The failings of OvPro

  • From: Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 19:17:18 +0100

On 1 Apr, Dave Symes wrote in message
    <52799ccd2adave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> In article <PDNGWHBSGEePFw39@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [Snippy]
>
> > Word or RTF export is possible, but would always come a cropper over
> > things OP can do that Word etc. can't. It just never got done. That was
> > a big failing, the program would have been much more successful had we
> > done MS Word support at the time Techwriter did it - we spent our time
> > doing other less important things.
>
> I guess this would be true of many things, in that often with
> filters/converters, they have a reasonable go at the job, but often can't
> do the full thing... Which is understandable, particularly as Word is such
> a moving target, but a basic RTF converter should be possible.
>
> > Third parties could have written these filters, but presumably decided
> > they were not commercially viable.
>
> Mnn! I don't know if any others have a use for a workable RTF
> export/converter, but on a personal note, I wouldn't expect it to be
> available for nothing.

The problem is, the amounts of money on offer aren't *commercially*
interesting (ie. they're not going to cover the time taken at rates
comparable to other paid work).

So we're still stuck with needing developers who want to do RTF export for
"fun", which is perhaps a niche group.  And as has been explained repeatedly
WRT NetSurf (to name just one group of developers who have been vocal on the
subject in the past), adding money into the equation tends to remove the
"fun" aspect and actually *reduce* the desire to do the work.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England             Wakefield Acorn & RISC OS Show
                                             Saturday 28 April 2012