[softwarelist] Re: The failings of OvPro

  • From: Deri James <deri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 12:52:32 +0100

On Monday 02 Apr 2012 12:10:41 David Pilling wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I was to do document export, what would be the best format HTML, RTF,
> MS Word, or some sort of XML variant as used by Open Office.
>
> Given that only one of the above is ever going to be done.

Hi S.

Each has its own strengths and weaknesses. As I see it:-

HTML - Standard, difficult to produce output faithful to OvPro document,
pictures must be supplied externally to the HTML.

RTF - Non standard proprietary format, changes with every word release,
impossible to produce faithful output, pictures can't be embedded.

OOXML (Word) - Standard (although no current microsoft product currently
supports the full standard, only "transitional), pictures can be embedded.

ODF (OpenOffice) - Standard, pictures can be embedded.

Personally I think ODF would be the best choice, (with more resources to help
the developer).

Cheers

Deri