[softwarelist] Re: The failings of OvPro

  • From: Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2012 14:29:22 +0100

In article <FjtEerBQHEePFwVv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,

> Bounced message from Martin Devon

> > PS: All my document are in OvPro form so please *don't* mention that
> > RISC OS Word processor.

> There's a fundamental fallacy in this request - even as taught as GCSE,
> a user should choose the most appropriate software for the task in hand.
> While there is some overlap in functionality between OPro and Word at a
> basic level, they are at root intended for different purposes. I'll
> leave it there..

> Martin

There is no fundamental fallacy (Transparent underpants). (Ph)

You almost answer the question yourself...
"a user should choose the most appropriate software for the task in hand."

I have in my possession a number of purchased applications that are best
suited for *MY* major requirements.

That RISCOS WP does not figure in the equation, sure it can output in an
MS Word file format, but that is the *most* least of my requirements in
this respect, so I could not justify the cost of purchasing it, no more
than I could justify the cost of purchasing ArtWorks, as good a piece of
kit as AW is.

Years ago, all my private and business documents were created in the
Impression series of apps, Junior then Style then Publisher.
Then along came OvPro written by Mr P., and released by Beebug, at that
point all relevant document templates, private and business were converted
(Manually in those days... No auto Publisher converter then) to Ovation
Pro.

Ovation Pro suits my requirements for 90% of the stuff I do, I would like
it to be able to do that last 10 percent.

So apart from converting an OvPro document to a Word document, I would
have absolutely no use what-so-ever for That WP.

Can That WP import an OvPro document BTW?

Dave

--

Dave Triffid