atw: Re: To press while... or hold?

  • From: sheetal_laviena@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 12:27:20 +1100

Hi Bja,

Thanks very much for that very analytical email...

We must remember that via email we cannot convey body language which can
(along with comments like these) be understood face to face...

We're all here for one reason...to learn off each other and share
ideas....I was making myself very clear that let's do just that and stick
only to the subject....

Words like Fail and Wrong and starting emails with NO are just poor email
etiquette....

There is a very old indian saying/parable "There are always two ways for
asking a person who his father is...., one - "who is your father"? and two
- <something that I will leave to your imagination"

....both these questions mean the same thing....but one is rude and one is
being polite....

P.S. Sheetal is a "she".

Regards and thanks,
Sheetal Laviena.

                    "bja"

                    <bashley@xxxxxxxxxxx>           To:
<austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                    Sent by:                        cc:

                    austechwriter-bounce@fre        Subject:     atw: Re: To
press while... or hold?
                    elists.org

                    18/02/2004 10:40 AM

                    Please respond to

                    austechwriter

What's this becoming... a Brian bashing session?

I don't know Brian and I don't want to be an apologist for him BUT.....
fair
suck of the sauce bottle folks.

Brian's comments were aimed at the statements being made by Sheetal and
while truncated, weren't rude, offensive or personal in my eyes - maybe
blunt or abrupt would be a better choice of words. Anyway, his comments
were
phrased as if he were bluntly speaking to another person face to face and
this is often done that way on this list.

Sheetal misunderstood the message and felt that Brian was standing in
judgement when he said "Fail". This was incorrect as Brian was simply
saying
the procedure mentioned would fail and I concur with that judgement given
that many people would assume 'simultaneously' meant to press the keys at
the exact same time and this is virtually impossible given the nanosecond
world we live in. Brian also said "Wrong" to the statements made and while
this could have been said better, it was a correct statement because the
comments being made by Sheetal were incorrect or at least subject to
misunderstanding.

Sheetal had his say after that and the matter should have gone away.

Now we get a rudely unsigned, anonymous email from BEKGEACH@xxxxxxx saying
"Brian You are just rude" (I found this hypocritically amusing). Brian's
reply was defensive (although also rudely unsigned) and now Geoff is
bagging
him.

I didn't comment before but this is getting out of hand. I honestly cannot
see what Brian has said that is incorrect or what he has written that is
rude in any way.

Am I missing something? Have I become an insensitive person (rhetorical
questions require no answer :))?

I'm sure Brian's not as bad as you paint him and personal attacks from
uninvolved spectators usually only reflect on the spectator.

My 0.02 as usual.

Cheers,

Bruce Ashley