atw: Re: To press while... or hold?

  • From: sheetal_laviena@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:44:08 +1100

Considering the audience in question are sitting in front of the computer,
reading instructions....HOLD DOWN should not indicate "holding down a
person" although I understand what you mean....but to get the point
across...HOLD DOWN could be used....

How about: Hold the BLAH key down and click ANOTHER BLAH button.

Again with Press you have the confusion of press and release or issues like
keep pressing etc both of which do not sound right - to me! :o).

Regards and thanks,
Sheetal Laviena.

                    "Sonja McShane"

                    <smcshane@xxxxxxxxxxx>          To:
<austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                    Sent by:                        cc:

                    austechwriter-bounce@fre        Subject:     atw: Re: To
press while... or hold?
                    elists.org

                    16/02/2004 02:30 PM

                    Please respond to

                    austechwriter

Earlier today someone mentioned (sorry, deleted my emails and unable to
re-read them) that you don't actually physically 'hold' a key. I can't
quite envisage how you 'hold down' a key, whereas it's easy to see how
you 'hold down' a person, for example. You could 'press down' a key, but
that's a tautology... I'm sticking with press :-)

Sonja