Re: [ARMini-support] SparkFS and Fat32fs

  • From: Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 16:23:30 +0000 (GMT)

On 01 Nov, Chris Johnson <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <53a2c8caa7jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jim Lesurf
>    <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I seem to often get a 'clash' between Fat32fs and SparkFS.

> > e.g. If I use Fat32fs to access a USB stick to copy across a file,
> > then dismount this. I then find that if I run SparkFS I get an
> > "application has gone wrong" error.

> I cannot reproduce this. I have tried other combinations of actions as
> well, eg dismounting the stick after running SparkFS, but have been
> unable to make things go wrong.

I can't yet be sure, but there may be some particular sequence which
prompts the behaviour. I'll say more below in case it helps...

> I am using v. 1.43 of SparkFS, 1.43 of Fat32Fs, and the OMAP4 RISC OS
> version is 5.19 (9 Feb 2013) - as supplied with the PandaRo. I cannot
> update RISC OS at the moment because the OMAP4 ROM is still awol from
> the ROOL site.

I'm currently using 5.19 (30-Sep-12) which I realise is quite old. However
the background is quite complex...

A while ago I experimented with upgrading to the most recent ARMiniX 5.19
but did not do this in the way Andrew strongly recommends. I then got
various problems, but as yet I'm not clear if the way I updgraded was the
cause.

After a time trying out the upgrade my machine suddenly ceased booting at
all. This persisted even when I 'reverted' to the old OS ensuring the state
of the fat partition should be exactly as before I experimented!

After a couple of days of further experiment I found I could get it to boot
again.

The 'fix' was to move an externally powered USB Hub I'm using from being
connected to a rear socket to a front one. Doing this not only let the
machine boot up, but it now did so much faster.

Ever since I'd bought the ARMiniX I've been using a USB switch and
externally powered hub to 'share' my mouse, keyboard, and printer with
three machines - ARMiniX, Iyonix, and a Linux box. This had apparently
worked fine. But I had noticed that my ARMiniX took much longer to boot up
than my wife's (totally seperate) ARMiniX.

With the 'shared' connection moved to the front the machine now works. but
if I try to boot up with the keyboard - directly or via the hub - connected
to the rear, the machine fails to boot. Despite this, once booted I can
move the keyboard (or hub) to the back, and it works. The problem is that
for some reason having the keyboard or hub at the back now stalls the
machine from booting. Even though for months before it was apparently fine.

Apart from the longer bootup time which I now take as a sign that it was
struggling to start up.

However the odd 'coincidence' of this manfesting and experimenting made me
delay going again for the upgrade, this time by the method Andrew approves.
I will do this sometime, though. However...

In the past I've had problems if I used Fat32fs and SparkFS at the same
time. But not if I only was using one when using the other. However now I
get problems if I use one, then the other.

I may have made this more noticable because I've been working on testing
driving USB Audio DACs on my Iyonix. This meant I have to keep transferring
files via memory stick. (The Iyonix no longer has a net connection.) These
checks have been frequent in the last few days and mean that at times I'm
remounting the memory stick which has already been 'seen' by the ARMiniX,
but whose content has been changed by the iyonix in the meantime.

I recall in the distant past having problems with discs which had already
been 'seen' but changed between mounts as the OS seems to remember
previously mounted discs. However...

I'm currently trying to write an article and have been doing the audio
tests, so that's been using my time and focus. And am also thinking of
doing the official OS upgrade as it may fix the problem anyway. But I've
not got around to that or testing the Fat/Spark clash as yet.

So I've been sort of 'nesting' problems whilst trying to get some work done
before making any more changes that may make things more complex or worse!
There does seem something odd going on but I don't know what the cause may
be at present.

BTW The work on USB DACs has progressed to the point that I now have a
good USB DAC working with the Iyonix. I'm hoping more modern DACs and
being able to use other host machines will then be implimented. It would
certainly make my life (and testing!) easier if I could do the tests on the
DACs with my ARMiniX! :-) But I think we're some way from that as yet.

Jim