Re: [ARMini-support] SparkFS and Fat32fs

  • From: Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 11:29:30 +0000 (GMT)

On 01 Nov, Chris Johnson <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sounds like you have some problems with the set up of your machine.

Yes. This morning I have found another problem.

Every now and then I insert an ADFS formatted SD card into the slot and
backup files to it.

This morning if I do this the slot's green LED comes on. But if I click on
the drive (card slot) icon I get "Disc empty". The LED remains lit and I
get no access. Repeated attempts freeze the machine.

Power cycle needed to clear this.

I get this repeatedly with two different ADFS format SD cards which have
previously been OK

I have an external SD-USB adaptor. If I use that, the cards open and can be
used OK.

So I think there is something very odd about my USB setup now.

1) The machine will no longer boot up if the keyboard or external HUB are
connected to one of the rear USB sockets. But Ok if they are at the front.
And they can be moved *after* bootup and the machine will find them and
work OK. Yet until a short time ago the machine was able to boot up with
the keyboard/hub in a rear socket.

2) Rather odd clash between Fat32Fs (via USB socket) and SparkFS as if
Fat32Fs was leaving behind some garbage. Maybe it is the USB doing this?

3) Now the SD socket seems to have ceased working. Until now it has been
fine.

> Have you tried installing a clean version 5.21 !Boot?

Depends what you mean. I don't want to experiment with installing any new
OS that Andrew hasn't released and approved. I think I'll now have to try
the upgrade he has released for 5.19. But as things stand I fear that any
attempt to adopt an OS released elsewhere may simply give more chances for
problems! It would also make it harder for him to help or advise.

At some point also I'll need to take care as I'll (hopefully) be
experimenting with USB Audio and want then a machine in a state that Andrew
would regard as representitive of his ARMiniX. Otherwise I may not be able
to get results others can replicate. [1]

Jim

[1] I've recently been successful with Colin/Dave's help in getting a good
USB DAC working with my old Iyonix. All being well, I'd like to reach being
able to do similar on ARMiniX, etc.