Re: [ARMini-support] SparkFS and Fat32fs

  • From: Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 18:16:19 +0000 (GMT)

On 13 Nov, Paul Sprangers <Paul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <53a965f04ejcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jim Lesurf
>    <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I get a problem with
> > using Fat32Fs leaving the machine in an 'odd' state. I've now found
> > that as well as SparkFS some other apps - e.g. Pluto - also fail to
> > work if I try them after having used Fat32Fs.

> I don't know if it's very helpful, but none of the problems you
> described have ever arisen here. Regularly, I use a 64Gb memory stick
> (single partition) for backup purposes.

I use a couple of ADFS/SDFS formatted SD cards for this. Which in this
context has the advantage of not requiring Fat32Fs. I use Fat format sticks
mainly for transfers to/from Linux boxes. But since my Iyonix has no SD
card slot I've been using the Fat format sticks.

> No matter how often I mount and dismount it, both Pluto and SparkFS keep
> working normally. I don't have to RMkill and RMtidy, or reset anything.

Alas, for reasons I don't understand, I consistently get the problems here.

> Fat32FS is in Predesk of an ARMiniX 5.19, which seems to be the same
> setup as yours. Now, is this encouraging - or disappointing?

Sound like the same setup. I have a directory called Fat32Fs in PreDesk and
this contains the module and a !Run file with the content

IfThere <Obey$Dir>.Fat32Fs Then RmLoad <Obey$Dir>.Fat32Fs

When I can I'll experiment with launching it by some other method.

It has actually also occurred to me that the tendency of my machine to give
the 'blank screen' may at the point it is probably going though PreDesk.
Afraid despite my alterations to startup screen mode I've now encountered
that again.

So I'll try taking it out of PreDesk.

Jim