[C] [Wittrs] Re: Wittgenstein and Theories

  • From: J DeMouy <jpdemouy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 09:17:12 -0800 (PST)

Sean,

We could imagine such a language, yes.  But in our language, Wittgenstein's use
of "thesis" escapes self-refutation because it is not contentious in the
context of the teacher-student relationship.  It is instruction in a method and
one who wants to learn and practice the method must accept it.

But it is self-refuting to use it in a dispute with a non-Wittgensteinian
philosopher.  And note that when discussing matters, say with members of the
Vienna Circle, he merely expresses his own preference, that a thesis or theory
is of no use to him.

In discussions with other philosophers, one examines the theses they advance,
rather than foolishly attempting to silence them by saying that theses have no
place in philosophy.  In that context, it would be contentious.  It would be a
thesis.  And a self-refuting one.

In discussions such as those on this board (where there is some reason to
expect a broadly Wittgensteinian approach), one might point out, if someone
professes to be doing Wittgensteinian philosophy, that they are advancing
theses and that this is inconsistent with Wittgenstein's methods.  If this is
contentious, it is a point of exegetical - not philosophical - dispute.

But if they say, "I'm not that kind of Wittgensteinian," well then the
alternative is to interrogate the thesis, as Wittgenstein does with various
theses throughout the PI and elsewhere.  If "philosophy cannot advance theses"
is rejected, then it should be withdrawn.  It is only a legitimate move in
Wittgensteinian philosophy if one is instructing someone who wishes to learn
the method.

And this is not just a matter of consistency.  It is a practical aspect of the
method.  If someone wishes to advance all sorts of philosophically confused
theses, telling them not to advance theses is unlikely to help them.
Dissolving a philosophical misunderstanding is not so simple.  Obviously.

JPDeMouy