[C] [Wittrs] Re: Wittgenstein and Theories

  • From: "jrstern" <jrstern@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 20:14:36 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@...> wrote:

> (josh)
>
> ... read the subsequent mails (messages). The last two or three by me and J's
> response. Really, the matter is not committed to orthodoxy -- as virtually
> nothing ever is -- it belongs to understanding what he means.

I see you doing and recommending therapy as a cure for theory, dissolving the
word and the question.

You gave some quotes and comments about theory.  Wittgenstein also talked about
rules, laws, proofs, surveyability, and normativity.  In some of these areas,
dissolving the question was not an appropriate answer, and yet, perhaps there
is a common approach, a Wittgensteinian grammar, to be seen.  When the subject
is science or mathematics, I know that you allow for different answers - but as
I've said, for myself, I cannot see where you divide out questions of science
from other questions.

The question at the top of this thread was yours
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wittrs/message/3483
and I thought it coming close to the real issues, but it was phrased almost
entirely in negative terms:
"So Wittgenstein is against these rituals."

I still invite people to find the positive terms, rather than simply practicing
the ritual of therapy.  That's because I find much that is positive in
Wittgenstein, and a steady practice of therapy merely numbing.

Josh