[SI-LIST] Re: PDS analysis?

  • From: "Bowden, Ivor" <ibowden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "steve weir" <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 20:35:41 -0700

Commenting on the original question, it would seem that the value of PDS
analysis depends on the characteristics of the devices that are mounting on
this hypothetical "industry standard layout" PCB. If the devices also follow
"industry standard" conventions for their chip / die PDS, then one might have
some degree of confidence that terminal problems are not likely. OTOH, if these
devices are demanding in their current requirements then PDS analysis may be
critical. Every case is different, of course, and experience with various cases
may allow one to have a feel for when the "industry standard" is sufficient and
when PDS analysis is called for. I'm not advocating avoiding PDS analysis and I
agree that it is always safer to fully simulate designs before building them.
-Ivor