[SI-LIST] Re: PDS analysis?

  • From: "Gil Simsic [IEEE]" <gsimsic.ieee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bowden, Ivor" <ibowden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 13:07:38 -0700

Ivor

I am involved in design since 1993, and have numerous of successful designs
under my belt. (I know - not very humble...)

In one way or another I worked and learned from SI leaders (aka - gurus)
like Lee Ritchey, Istvan Novak, Eric Bogatin, Scott McMorrow and Howard
Johnson (and others that due to a senior moment I did not mention here -
sorry) I gratefully owe my knowledge to them.

by the way - all I tried to do is to learn about "real world picture".

My greatest lesson is - there are no short cuts and no rule of thumbs. I
read daily emails on this list that prove this point over and over again.

And than again I might misunderstand you...
If the by 'real world' you refer to 'rules of thumbs' and 'short cuts', I
will strongly recommend you to shy away from that 'real world'. I really
think that any design as hypothetic or rhetorical as it is, needs analysis
(the subject of your email is PDS analysis...).

Most of the SI phenomena are frequency depended.

You said - * I'm more interested in answers like "you might see a waveform
of xxx characteristics across the bypass capacitor". *
My answer - "you might see a waveform of xxx characteristics across the
bypass capacitor". ;-)
How can one attempt giving you any 'ball-park' numbers for a frequency
dependent component with out knowing what the frequency parts are?

Good luck!

Gil