[SI-LIST] Re: PDS analysis?

  • From: "Chris Cheng" <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "steve weir" <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 12:38:02 -0700

Steve,
If we accepted the core current has a "reasonable number" at 100MHz, let's
review how the core current vs. I/O current gets delivered in even the most
well designed package.
The core current gets delivered through a tight on die power grid that almost
cover the entire die with C4 bum delivering current straight from the vertical
package via, the lowest possible impedance path.
The I/O power only gets delivered at the die peripheral edge (unless you have
an IBM die that can spread all across the die) and has to run through the
gauntlet of a highly perforated I/O signal redistribution area where signal
escapes Swiss cheese the power/ground plane that have to deliver the power and
return to the die. How could your I/O power and ground has lower loop
inductance than those of the core both in terms of shear number (the entire die
is almost cover with core power/ground bumps vs. only the peripheral bumps) and
the loop inductance per port (straight via vs. highly Swiss cheese plane before
even getting to vias) ?
And yet we have 1G+ FSB or 800MT/s DDR3 I/O so clearly there is a way to
deliver the I/O power to the die through the package. How ? Through the tightly
coupled path between the signals and their return path. CHRIS RULE B. Any time
there is a disturbance between the signal and the return path, there is
performance degradation. Call it SSO, I/O power resonance or even return path
induced crosstalk, they are examples of the same problem. When your return path
is interrupted either by incorrect reference planes, insufficient return via or
even poorly placed return via locations. When that happens, you have no choice
but to throw in alternative paths such as thin core or fancy caps like X2Y. But
I have said it many times, if you shoot yourself in the foot and scream for an
expensive stretcher, I can't go on with that kind of discussion. The same
problem can be solve with proper reference planes, via number and placement.
The devil is in the details. And here is where we are stuck. Unless you are
going to do dirty laundry of your client out in the public, how are we going to
judge whether that 600MHz I/O resonance can not be solved by fixing the return
paths rather than throwing in exotic caps ? The same goes to your 300MHz
demonstrated problem ?
Remember the plane resonance paper you mentioned a few months ago ? Even one
author chimed in saying how real it is. Well, as we all now know that was just
a matter of insufficient ground return vias (CHRIS RULE B violation) coupled
with deliberate ill configured I/O. I am not saying you are wrong, just a
different perspective.
SI-list exist for over ten years. I have been saying the same thing for that
ten years. And in between I have delivered reasonable amount of systems. Call
me stubborn but I do practice what I preach. You don't have to agree with me,
but at least appreciate my consistency ;-D.
Regards,
Chris