[pure-silver] Re: Amusing Kodak commercial

  • From: afterswift@xxxxxxx
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 04:25:48 -0500

  Why this Silver list is important: The division between film and digital
presages an evolution in the directions within photography. I think it's a
positive event because it clarifies our personal choice within photography. It
separates folks who go for short range to those who are dedicated to long haul
objectives.

 A similar shock of visual technology hit painters when photography invaded the
field of portraiture. The painters turned to the expression of pure idea, which
photography at the time could not equal. Now photography can imitate abstract
art, but never outpace the hand artist in this field.

 Therefore it's not a question of whether digital will replace film. The issue
is where the individual photographer wants to go. Does he want to walk hand in
hand with history or instead follow temporary concerns.

 It's obvious that the film photographer will be a minority, but one which will
be highly respected and trusted and perhaps even financially rewarded by
Western societies.

 Bob

AOL Mail and more.