[pure-silver] Re: Amusing Kodak commercial

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 11:24:11 -0500

At 08:46 AM 12/26/2006 ,        Nick wrote:
... with my old Durst I can leave a negative for weeks in there
>and it'll be perfectly focused. The Beseler won't manage a few hours using
>the same test....
>       Nick
>================

December 28, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

I've noticed the same thing. I used a Beseler 4x5 enlarger for many years,
and I formed the habit of checking the focus frequently, even during a
session. I never trusted the focus to remain consistent between sessions
with the neg in the enlarger. My Durst (L1200) has slowly broken me of the
habit of checking focus. I have left a neg in place many, many times,
sometimes for weeks indeed, and never have found the focus different from
the time I left it.

I love my Durst. If I bumped into the Beseler with my head in the dark, I
ground my teeth because it could be assumed I had changed something
important like focus or alignment. The Durst doesn't budge, might as well
bash a lathe with my head.

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.