[pure-silver] Re: Amusing Kodak commercial

  • From: "Dana H. Myers" <dana.myers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 22:04:57 -0800

Stein wrote:
> Dear Joe,
>
>      I would speak if my mouth hadn't dried up entirely. The YouTube
> movie is beyond good. I intend to bronze it and hang it from my
> rear-view mirror. I may send it to New Guinea to be worshiped by a
> native tribe.
>
>     My own experience with the perfectly-good digital camera yesterday
> at the Christmas luncheon has confirmed my suspicions. I have been
> taking pictures with cameras for the last 50 of my years starting with a
> Brownie 620 and progressing up to the full studio. Cameras of all shapes
> and sizes have passed through my hands, fallen off my dashboard, and
> rolled over my foot. I have produced recognizable and salable images
> with most of them.
>
>     I wanted pictures of children opening presents, in that short
> interval between when the box comes open and the toy ceases working. You
> know - the bit where they either injure themselves or another child with
> the Raggedy Andy doll. ( It CAN be done.)
>
>     Perhaps I expected too much of the camera. Perhaps the camera
> expected more of me. It seemed to hesitate before each exposure,
> possibly trying to steel itself for another lame composition. I gave it
> up after 3 pictures, and then tried to reset it to work faster. I don't
> know about you, but the only time I want to scan a menu is when it
> features garlic bread to start and a decent dessert to finish. I closed
> the camera up and searched for lunch.

Not to start a digital vs. film debate, but let's be fair:

What digital camera are you using?

My digital camera shoots 5 frames/second at full 8MP res (slower if  the
on-camera flash needs to recharge).  The delay from shutter-press to
shutter-curtain is under 100mS.  It'll shoot more than 20 frames in
succession before it has to pause for the CF to catch up.

One can't indict digital because one tries a garden-variety digital camera;
that makes no more sense than indicting film because one tries it out with
a Disc camera.

Cheers -
Dana