[pure-silver] Re: Amusing Kodak commercial

  • From: "tOM Trottier" <tOM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 10:24:20 -0400

On Thursday, December 28, 2006 at 4:25,
afterswift@xxxxxxx <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote

> Why this Silver list is important: The division between film and
> digital presages an evolution in the directions within photography.
> I think it's a positive event because it clarifies our personal
> choice within photography. It separates folks who go for short range
> to those who are dedicated to long haul objectives.
>
> A similar shock of visual technology hit painters when photography
> invaded the field of portraiture. The painters turned to the
> expression of pure idea, which photography at the time could not
> equal. Now photography can imitate abstract art, but never outpace
> the hand artist in this field.
>
> Therefore it's not a question of whether digital will replace film.
> The issue is where the individual photographer wants to go. Does he
> want to walk hand in hand with history or instead follow temporary
> concerns.
>
> It's obvious that the film photographer will be a minority, but one
> which will be highly respected and trusted and perhaps even
> financially rewarded by Western societies.

FIlm will remain as a choice, for technical and/or artistic reasons, but we
must acknowledge that it
is and will be used by a dwindling minority. Before the beginnings of
photography, there were
many more artists than there were after.

tOM

-- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur --
   ,__@         tOM Trottier
 _-\_<,         758 Albert St., Ottawa ON Canada  K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)        N45.41235 W75.71345     +1 613 860-6633
     Q,  Q,
    </  </      This world, after all our science and sciences, is still
 (`-/---/-')            a miracle; wonderful, inscrutable, magical and more,
~~@~~~~@~~~~~~  to whosoever will think of it. --Thomas Carlyle