-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Partitioning

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 17:28:02 -0400

The warning on this was included in a couple of my tutorials on the past,
but it's easy to see how it could have been overlooked.  My apologies if I
didn't make it clear enough.

Most of the items in the original Program Files folders will no longer be
accessed, but there are exceptions and I never took the time it would take
to document which ones are most likely to be affected.  Since I normally
make this kind of system-wide change immediately following the initial OS
install, there are few files in the original location.  I just leave them
there.  However, if you are making this kind of change after having used the
OS for a while, your Program Files folders will likely contain a lot more
data.

Run the system for a few weeks and then compare dates.  If a program appears
to be only using the new location, make a Copy of the original and then
delete the original, but not its copy.  Reboot and see if the system balks.
If it does, return the copy to the original location and assume you can
never try that again.  Move onto another original folder that appears to no
longer be in use and try it with that one.

For those apps that appear to run just fine without the original folders,
keep the copies around for at least a month or two, just in case.  Once you
know that every function for that app works perfectly well without the
original folder, feel free to delete its copy.

Peace,
Gman

http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.php