-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Partitioning

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 00:58:41 -0400

The advice I gave on the use of min/max is partially based on the idea that
NT systems have so much more RAM than their earlier 9x cousins.

With more RAM, the pagefile ends up much larger by default (bad microsoft,
bad!).  When you're using the system for simple things (email, etc.),
there's just no need for a huge pagefile and the system happily does what it
does with the default min size.  The larger size only comes into play if you
choose to do something that requires a lot more paging space (and you've
already mentioned that some apps don't bother checking, so it needs to be
available, even with a ton of RAM installed).  If the pagefile is made small
for both min/max, you're going to have issues when trying to run one or more
of these heavier apps.  If you go large for both min/max, you're going to be
using it a lot more often than necessary since Windows will use whatever is
available.

That's why I suggest using the more dynamic ability of Windows to switch
between them when needed.  However, the swith could indeed get in the way if
it occurs diring a critical part of whatever process forces its growth.
That's the only part of this equasion I haven't quite worked out.  Even so,
just starting up most apps that need more paging space will often be enough
to initiate the growth.  Since that occurs before actual use, the pause in
processing isn't a problem in these cases.

In other words, it'll 'get ya' once in a blue moon, but if you understand
what's happening bhind the scenes, you can adjust your computing habits for
it.  For example, once you get bit by a particular app, from that point on
you can fire it up and then run a few other apps to force the jump to max
before getting down to work with the heavy one.  Just be sure to close those
'other' apps before starting.

I hope I explained that clear enough.     lol

Peace,
Gman

http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.php