-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Partitioning

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 16:48:30 -0400

Below

Peace,
Gman

http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.php

From: "dsw32952" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 9:06 AM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Partitioning

> OK... finally had time to go exploring for the pagefiles...
>
> When booted to XP Pro the pagefile is located on the XP Pro drive and
> sized 2046 to 4092 MB.  Total paging file for all drives:  Min 2MB,
> Recommended 4413 MB, and currently allocated 2046.
>
> When booted to Vista x64 the pagefile is located on the Vista drive and
> sized as system managed.  Total paging file for all drives:  Min 16MB,
> Recommended 9019 MB, and currently allocated 6313.
>
> I think I will take a total of 25GB from the two drives and create two
> partitions of 10GB and 15GB for XP and Vista respectively.  That will
> give a little extra head room for both "just in case".
>
> I would just make a single partition but I don't know if the two would
> coexist peacefully on the same partition.

It can be done using separate folders for the two files, but that will
remove some of the advantages (i.e. fragmentation would increase)

> IIRC I saw a setting somewhere that would allow me to tell the system
> NOT to display selected drives in the explorer folder tree.  I will set
> those two to not be displayed.

TweakUI 2.10 has this feature.  I don't know if the non-MS TweakUI's have
it.

> Because the Data drive has all my data and program files folder on it I
> don't think there would be any performance advantage to putting the
> pagefiles there since it will be busy enough with a pagefile to worry
> about.  Plus, with separate smaller partitions defrag will be quicker on
> main drives and probably seldom need defragging themselves.

Correct.  The ideal is for the pagefile to be on its own partition on a
separate physical drive (separate the seeking on info).  Barring separate
drives, the next best thing is to have it by itself on it's own partition.
Barring that, avoid combining it on a partition with anything that is often
accessed (again, to keep down fragmentation).  Smaller partitions always
lend themselves to faster AV, AM, CHKDSK, Defrag and 'other' scans.

> As to recycle bin size, I will have to go look for the setting and
> minimize it.  But since I will never have anything there to toss into
> the bin will it not always be its minimum size anyway?  Or does the
> pagefile delete it self at some point?

I believe the RB won't allow individual partitions to have a 0MB size unless
you remove it for ALL volumes.  That means you'll be stuck with the smallest
size allowed, even if you prefer 0MB for that volume.  The pagefile does not
delete itself, so that volume's RB will likely never be put to use.

> Turn off System Restore?  I thought that was a system setting not a
> drive setting.  Wouldn't the Restore files stay on the system drive?

Go into Control Panel's System Properties and you'll see a System Restore
tab that lets you turn off SR for individual volumes.  Turn it off for the
pagefile drive(s), but leave it on the ones you still wish to protect.

> Don

in the Subject.