-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Partitioning

  • From: dsw32952 <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 00:27:34 -0400

Oooops.  I confused two computers.  The third drive is in the Dell, not
the HP.

Anyway, the settings currently show a green dot for drive C (vista boot
partition) and drive D (data drive) in the No Page File radio button and
no green dot in the button for drive E (XP Pro boot partition).  If I
understand correctly that means the page file is currently located on
the XP partition. (drive C and E are partitions on one drive and D is a
separate drive)

I think I might take about 5GB from the XP partition for a partition to
move the pagefile to.  Currently the page file size is 2096MB to 4092
MB.   Recommended size is 4413 MB.

IIRC you said the performance gain in moving the file is minimal
especially if moved to a drive that sees a lot of use.  But using a
separate partition on the same drive would save time during defrag.  I
gotta go back and find exactly what you said.

Again, IIRC at some point somebody said that it would be a good idea to
set your minimum file size to the same number as your maximum file
size.... apparently this would sharply reduce fragmentation of the file
without any performance loss.

Don

Gman wrote:
> I turn off Hibernation and modify the Power Settings to Always On, so I have
> no experience moving the hiberfile.  Most likely, the control for its
> location is in the registry, but I'd run a search for tweaks specifically
> geared for that before experimenting.
>
> For the Pagefile in XP, right click on My Computer and select Properties.
> Go to the Advanced tab and click on the Performance > Settings tab.  Click
> on the resulting Advanced tab and then on the Change button.  Write down the
> current settings shown for the C drive.  If the pagefile is on a volume
> other than C:, you'll first have to click on that drive to access the
> current settings.  Click on the 'No paging file' radio button (the small
> circle) to remove it from that volume, select the one you prefer to use and
> then enter the previous settings for this new location.  The changes will be
> made following a reboot, so OK your way out of these open windows and
> reboot.  Finally, return to this area and make sure they are still the way
> you set them.
>
> Peace,
> Gman

in the Subject.